Quatsino is just a quick water-taxi ride away from Coal Harbour. First settled in the late 1800s, Quatsino is one of Vancouver Island North’s earliest communities. St. Olaf’s Anglican Church, which was built in 1896 as a one-room schoolhouse and then converted to a church that is still used for special occasions and weddings, is an interesting historic site, along with the old graveyard. Nature lovers and eagle watchers can enjoy the 654 hectares of undeveloped, protected parkland in Quatsino Provincial Park.
- Quatsino Museum & Archives
- St.Olaf’s Anglican Church (1897)
- Fishing Lodges
This is a good R&R spot for kayakers and a home base for fishing groups heading out into Quatsino Sound towards the island’s west coast with several lodging and sport fishing charter companies in operation. The quaint local museum and archives is located across from the government dock and offers Internet service and a small snack bar during its early afternoon operating hour.